The first written reference dates back to the 17th century, when German settlers founded a village Dörfl there. In the 18the century it was renamed Harrachsdorf after which the adjacent settlement. At that time tourism also became popular in the Krkonoše Mountains and the locals let tourists stay in their houses.
Since the end of the 19th century, Harrachsdorf has been known for its glass production, textile industry, and mining.
In 1921, the originally independent municipalities of Nový Svět and Rýžoviště joined Harrachov. In 1961, Mýtiny joined Harrachov.
The Harrach family is also associated with the beginnings of skiing in the Krkonoše Mountains. Skiing spread to Harrachov at the turn of the 19th century, when Johann Nepomuk Count of Harrach brought the first skis to his estate.
Glass making has been popular in the area around present-day Harrachov since the 14th century. The glassworks as we know it today was founded in 1712. Baroque glass from Harrachov quickly attained a quality that soon competed with products from other areas of the Krkonoše.
The glassworks belonged to the Harrach family from the beginning, but after the Second World War it was taken over by the state. Since 1993 it has been owned by a private owner. The glassworks offers excursions into production and also houses the glass museum.
Skiing spread to Harrachov at the turn of the 19th century, when Johann Nepomuk Count of Harrach brought the first skis to his estate. The skis were not only used as a means of transport, but soon also served as a source of entertainment.
Ski jumps were already popular at the beginning of the 20th century. The first international ski races in Harrachov were held as early as 1923.Harrachov is home to one of the few mammoth ski jumps in the world. It was built in 1980. There is a cable car route that passes directly by the mammoth ski jump, which is still considered a distinct landmark of Harrachov.
Kateřina Ornstová: Historie turismu Harrachova
Lucie Pilátová: Soubor rodinných domů Harrachov